Propane appliances can release carbon monoxide, a potentially dangerous gas, which can be harmful without proper ventilation. So it’s important to have a carbon monoxide detector. But do you know what to do when your CO detector indicates high levels of carbon monoxide? 
 
First, you should know that carbon monoxide detectors alert you to high levels of carbon monoxide gas long before symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are apparent. (By the way, those symptoms are similar to the flu.) Unlike smoke detectors, they do not signal an immediate danger, but it is still recommended that you act quickly when you hear one sound the alarm. 
 
Here are 5 steps you should take if your carbon monoxide detector sounds.
 
•Provide ventilation. Open windows and doors and move everyone outdoors.  
•Do a head count. Make sure everyone is accounted for.
•Call for help from a neighbor’s house or outdoors. Do not return inside your home to call emergency responders. Contact your gas company and alert them to the alarm.
•Look for the symptoms of CO poisoning. If anyone in the home is experiencing headache, dizziness, or other flu-like CO poisoning symptoms, leave the house, call the fire department and seek medical attention.
•Look for the warning signs of carbon monoxide problems. If you see any of these signals of CO poisoning, contact your propane gas supplier immediately for proper propane gas maintenance . 
  1.Streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your propane appliances
  2.Soot or water falling from the base of a chimney 
  3.Moisture collecting on the windows and walls of your furnace room 
 
Following these steps will help keep you safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Being prepared will give you the peace of mind you need to relax and enjoy your propane-powered appliances. 
 
Find Nearest Location

Request A Delivery

cookbook cta new